Tuesday 7 June 2011

Life is going swimmingly

So, in an attempt to continue the pacing exercise-rest experiment I went swimming on Saturday. It was a slow start to the day, but I had decided I would do this and I knew I had professional supervision on Sunday afternoon so going Sunday morning was not an option. Therefore, bag in hand and a book of pre-pay tickets that I hoped were still valid, off I pootled. The good news was the tickets were still valid so even if this was a failed attempt, it had effectively cost me nothing on the day. I decided on widths. Lengths looked a bit daunting and there were several floating children bobbing around like hindering buoys. My aim was to survive 10 minutes. After managing 10 widths in 10 minutes I had a little stretch and thought I'd try again. I managed another 10 of each. The one odd thing that I discovered was that my right leg was none too keen on this idea. I like to do a few (usually lengths) breast stroke and then a stint on my back (bouys allowing). My leg followed along and would occassionally flick into life - if you've ever seen an axylottle (unsure of spelling) you will have observed they float like a dead thing then suddenly spasm as if having been electrocuted. My leg did that. Not painfully, just oddly. So I gave up trying to make it work and dragged it along behind me like a tug boat. I can't say I experienced a sense of achievement at the end - generally I swim 20ish lengths in half an hour - it felt more like I had taken part in a rehab programme for recovery following an injury.  Still, it was good to have tried it and to know I can go back and try again. Maybe my right leg will join in next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment