Thursday 7 June 2012

Slow progress, but progress nonetheless

It is difficult to know if fatgue after activity is part of the CFS or just down to a reduced level of fitness. I have found that I am not so dizzy and shaky after swimming now, so I decided to experiment by upping the odds a bit. Rather than trying to swim more lengths, I am now keeping to 30-36 but rather than doing all breaststroke am throwing in a bit of front and back crawl to make it more cardiovascular. On the first attempt a couple of weeks ago, I just did a few half lengths like this. I felt okay after. Today I swam six half lengths front crawl, four full lengths front crawl and approx 15 third of a  length back crawl (tricky due to an old twingy rotator cuff injury). Since this is proving quite successful I dusted off a couple of fitness DVDs. I looked at the basic section of a Rosemary Connelly Salsa DVD I would never have touched pre CFS as it was too basic and boring. It is 17 minutes and I managed it. Gentle though it is, I did feel I had done something. Then I tried a Matt Roberts DVD which has resistence and cardio mini workouts. These are designed to be combined but I haven't got that far! I have managed to do the warm up and one circuit of a resistance workout (approx 10 mins) he does the session with burst of activity with periods of rest (which I spend panting mostly). I also do a little 5 minute weight lifting thing that I adlib each day. The plan is to build on the stamina I have already put in place and try to increase my baseline a little more each month. We shall see....

1 comment:

  1. Don't try to do too much at a time ,ease into them or you could do more harm.Its good you feel you are able to increase your exercise but just be aware it can hit you at any time, On the positive side you have come a great distance.Well done.

    ReplyDelete