Thursday 15 September 2011

Five Tibetans

Since last posting I have had four pieces of good news. I have finally gained my level 4 Pilates specialty qualification and I'm glad I decided to make the effort to complete it. It was worth the extra energy it took. It also made me realise how tense I had been while waiting for the news as the sense of relief I felt was monumental. The second piece of good news was winning a short story competition. I find writing relaxing, whether a note or a letter or a story. It's nice to sit in the summerhouse and do it while the weather is still warm enough to do so. My six weeks of reflexolgy has finished and I think it has helped, particularly with the pain. I still take the Amitrityline 10mg at night - and touch wood have not had any insomnia epsisodes for nearly three weeks - but that is now less about pain management and more about regulating my sleep. Overall I have to say I feel about 10% better, which is good. The other interesting thing is swimming. I went to the local pool where I can only do lengths and this time managed 12 lengths in 22 minutes. I was pleased to notice my right leg was keener to be involved that previously. It wasn't quite kicking all the way along but did make an effort and it's less like hauling a piece of driftwood behind me, which is nice. I have received a letter from the CFS/ME clinic and start my Tai Chi class next Wednesday. It's not the best of days for me as I teach three classes on a Weds andwill  have also worked Monday day and taught Monday and Tuesday evenings. I will forego the Tuesday swim and conserve energy for Tai Chi. The last bit of good news is the Five Tibetans. I was put on to them by a colleague. I don't mean I have five small Tibetans carrying me about - although that might be interesting - it is a set of re-energising exercises. The full name is Five Tibetan Rites. It consist of five exercises - that are not too dissimilar to some Pilates - that take about five minutes. I can't quite do all 12 reps of all five exercises, but I do what I can and it does give me a lift! So, less doom and gloom and more bloom this week then.

2 comments:

  1. Dear Amanda,
    I started the Five Rites. Why all the warning for chronic fatigue. I have Fibro but I am doing it anyway. I am up to 12 reps. I notice alot of fatigue and wanting to sleep later in the am. I cannot find any information on line but would love to know if I am doing my body worse. I want to try to pull me up but don't want to make me worse. Any thoughts? Warmly, Renee

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Renee
    Without knowing you it is difficult to comment but I doubt you are making anything worse in your body. The main thing is to listen to it and not push it, every day is different. Pacing is a word I am not keen on but essentially it is about not resting too much on a 'tired' day and not doing too much on an 'energy' day. Treat each day more or less the same and learn not to push yourself and when to rest. Also learn what rest is; sleep isn't rest. Rest is something relaxing, like meditating, listening to music or the radio, sitting still in a park and watching the world go by. You will find what works for you.

    ReplyDelete