Sunday 24 July 2011

De Ja Vu

I feel I've been here before, probably because I have. The past week I have revisited the rollercoaster ride that is ME/CFS. I am still reiki-ing daily and generally feel calmer and less angry and less frustrated, so that's good. I am still not, however, recognising my limits. At the ME clinic on Tuesday I was told off for making excuses as to why I haven't logged enough rest periods and using low level activity as rest, when it isn't. Well, that told me. I am confusing, it seems, relaxing activity for rest. For example, copying out some poetry for a friend, reading a non-fiction book, writing a notecard to someone, chatting on the phone to my mum, spending time with a friend. All relaxing and enjoyable and all low-medium level activities. I now have to schedule four rest breaks into my day lasting minimum 10 minutes. It sounds easy, but you try it, or maybe you're a natural sloth! Rest periods include having a bath, reading fiction, looking out of the window, not talking, not watching TV, not playing with the dog or cat. Perhaps I am too easily distracted. I can even distract myself without too much effort. My biggest problem is no two days are the same. My life is hard to regulate. Nevertheless, try I must. It took me 45 minutes to walk a 20 minute walk home Friday night and I was in a bit of a state when I finally got here. The dysathesia returned Weds/Thurs. The shiatsu didn't have a positive an effect as usual, however, it is possible it cleared and moved things on - hence the sudden fatigue attack. The good news from that treatment is that she feels the anger is subsiding. So I can at least feel smug about that. Plus, I did manage to get to a birthday party Sat night but had to leave at 9.30pm (I stayed out later as a teen!) because I was driving and had to allow for how tired that makes me. There is no logic to ME and I need to stop trying to find it. Back to the drawing board for a new coping plan. Where's Baldrick when you need him?

1 comment:

  1. Chronic fatigue syndrome, or CFS, is a debilitating and complex disorder characterized by profound fatigue that is not improved by bed rest and that may be worsened by physical or mental activity. Persons with CFS most often function at a substantially lower level of activity than they were capable of before the onset of illness. In addition to these key defining characteristics, patients report various nonspecific symptoms, including weakness, muscle pain, impaired memory and/or mental concentration, insomnia, and post-exertional fatigue lasting more than 24 hours. In some cases, CFS can persist for years. The cause or causes of CFS have not been identified and no specific diagnostic tests are available. Moreover, since many illnesses have incapacitating fatigue as a symptom, care must be taken to exclude other known and often treatable conditions before a diagnosis of CFS is made.

    ReplyDelete